Sunday, May 2, 2010

Activism Blog Week 7

Alexandria Bergeron
Jeannina Perez
April 3, 2010
WST 3015




This week was another week of tabling for me. While tabling I had an encounter with members of the UCF fishing club. Though this label is problematic I am going to give it to them- they were rednecks. I knew getting them to sign the petition would be difficult but I tried to relate the idea of the petition in a way that they would understand. Everything was going good until one of the guys realized that this petition would aid individuals who were transgender. Of course once they realized this, the petition became a joke to them and they spent the rest of the day badgering me and sending other members up who hadn't heard me speak. Even though the process got annoying I smiled and explained the petition every time. It put a new spin on kill them with kindness for me, and they would never stop coming over. To relate this to the text, because we have been learning about acts of violence against women and the implications of acts of violence and how we respond as a society. My response is to petition for equal rights here at UCF, so that these acts, as well as other none physically related acts will have the same punishments as it would for anyone else, in any other group of individual. As a member of the transgender community, 1 in 5 experience acts of violence against them. Violence is unexceptable no matter your gender, age, race, sex prefrence, or gender identity. This was the idea that I tried to share with the member of the fishing club the other day while tabling, and I have to admit, I was frustrated and wanted to just shake them for being so ignorant, but instead I faced them with a smile and had to tell myself that this my cause, and if they don't want to see it from another point of view, well that was there choice. But I still got enjoyment out of knowing that before they had really processed what I was telling them, 2 had already signd my petition.... so they did support my cause!

No comments:

Post a Comment