Sunday, May 2, 2010

Activism Blog Week 9

Alexandria Bergeron
Jeannina Perez
3/16/2010
WST 3015


This week was a very busy and active for me and my group. Today was our rally and the National Day of Silence. To prepare for todays events we did our last little bit of tabling on Wed. That was probably the most interesting day of tabling we have had. We were set up next to a group who was teaching useful information about the female anatomy... with a life sized hand made female vagina. They played a game show styled game with students passing by, and drew lots of attention. We benefitted from this because it allowed us to grab people leaving there booth (which was very numerous) to come and sign our petition. The next step was to create posters. I spent all night last night creating the poster that I brought with me today.
This morning we stood out front of the student union with tape over our mouths, silently protesting. we found out yesterday that our cause had passed the golden rule committee, and now all we need is the president of the college to sign off. So today was more of a coming together to further our support and to kind of celebrate what we accomplished.
After leaving the rally however I spoke to a good friend of mine, and we got into a huge fight, because of him being in the military and the fact that some of the people protesting were against the "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" law. I am so hurt and frustrated at his cruel words and the fact that he belittled me and my opinion. I felt it was interesting that this is what we would have fought about, especially since we just talked about women's role in the military and the oppression that women and people of the GLBTQ community experience. I argue with him about equality and how anyone willing to sacrifice there life was worthy of being in the military, however this argument blow up out of control and i do believe I have ended a 14 year old friendship. I am not upset over the lose of the friendship because I can't associate with people as ignorant as that, but I am sad to think that he is not the only one out there that thinks like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment