Thursday, April 29, 2010

Activism Blog Week 6

Alexandria Bergeron
Jeannina Perez
For week of 3/26/10
WST 3015



This week was again a slower week for me. I took my petition sheet to work with me and to my other class. Explaining my cause wasn't to bad, but I think for most of the people that signed, it was out of habit. The people I worked with didn't even want to know what they were signing for the most part. I was a little surprised by this because I was hoping that people would take more of an interest in the world that they are changing and affecting. I would want to know what I was signing. This week also lead to more conversations with my dad about my project and about or class discussions. We are talking about women and feminist ideas in regards to the military. My father is a 37 year veteran of the Navy, and we have found ourselves in a couple heated debates about the "Don't Ask, Don't Tell", laws. Of course he is all for it and I feel that no one should have to hide who they are. If they are willing to put there life on the line for their country then who cares what their sexual preference is. My dad and I have always been close but these arguments actually were so heated at one point, we actually found ourselves hanging up on each other.I think it is hard for my dad to see me grow up and develope my own opinions especially when they are different then his ideals, however he is becoming more receptive the more we talk through this project process. I think that this might help both my parents grow by the end of the project.

Work Cited:


Kirk, Gwyn, and Margo Okazawa-Rey. "Women and the military, War, and Peace." Women's Lives: Multicultural Perspectives. 5th ed. New York: McGraw Hill, 2010. 493-511. Print.


No comments:

Post a Comment