Sunday, April 25, 2010

Activism Blog Week 5

Alexandria Bergeron
Jeannina Perez
For the week (3/19/10)
WST 3015






With it being the first week back from being on Spring Break, I can't say that I was exactly motivated to jump right into working on our service learning hours. We had planned to begin tabling this week, and I took the time off from work, but due to problems with getting a table, we were unable to start petitioning. This week in class I feel like we have covered a lot of topics in great detail to include the work of feminism in pursuit of equality to lengthy class discussions about taking the "path of least resistance"(Perez, 3/17/10) . As an individual in this group I see my self living up to both of these discussions. Being of the straight community, the path of least resistance is definately being an activist for the GLBT community. The responses from most when I discuss my service learning project is shock. Friends I have been close with for years even look at me a little cross. I think there is this idea that in order to fight for equality for certain communities, you have to be a member of that community. I have become more comfortable talking openly about my project and really standing up for my personal morals. This is a big step for me. I have always been a person concerned with what others thought so anything that would be "out of the norm", would not be something that I would advertise. I find my self growing and finding my voice in this world as far as defending and supporting what I believe in.

Perez, Jeanina. 3 March, 2010. Lecture "Path of Least Resistance"

No comments:

Post a Comment